What’s in an energy drink?

Energy drinks sold in Canada may contain the following ingredients:




Caffeine

Caffeine has been safely consumed, in many forms, for thousands of years. According to Health Canada, 93% of the average Canadian’s daily caffeine intake comes from tea and coffee beverages, leaving 7% from other sources.

Regardless of whether caffeine is added or naturally occurring in a product (such as coffee or chocolate), there is no chemical difference between the two and the effects are identical.


Taurine

Taurine is an amino acid that is found naturally in the human body, as well as in common food items such as seafood and poultry.

Health regulators have determined that Taurine does not interact with the effects of caffeine.


Guarana

Guarana seeds are one of more than 60 plants worldwide that naturally contain caffeine. Others include coffee beans, tea leaves, cacao, cola nut, and yerba mate.


Ginseng

Ginseng is a perennial herb. Many cultures have been adding ginseng to tea for hundreds of years.


B Vitamins

B vitamins are found naturally in the foods we eat such as seafood, seeds and meat. They are essential nutrients that play a wide range of roles, such as help the body convert carbohydrates to energy.


Sweeteners

Energy drinks contain either nutritive or non-nutritive sweeteners, giving consumers caloric and non-caloric options.